Skip to main content

How Saraki, Governor Yari and I offended Tinubu in 2015 - Tambuwal makes new revelations

The governor of Sokoto state, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, has made some revelation concerning the cold political relationships between him and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

The also revealed what happened between the leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), the president of the enate, Bukola Saraki, and Governor Abdul’aziz Yari of Zamfara state.

In an exclusive interview with Vanguard, Tambuwal said Saraki offended Tinubu by kicking against the latter’s plot to run on the same ticket with President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015.

According to him, Saraki believed that a Muslim-Muslim ticket would not help the success of the then newly formed APC.

The governor also said prior to the emergence of the leadership of the National Assembly, he and Yari met with Tinubu in Lagos to intimate him of developments and make him realize that the odds favoured Yakubu Dogara.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

He said he, however, told Tinubu that he and Yari could talk to Dogara to become the deputy speaker to Femi Gbajabiamila, the APC leader’s choice in 2015.

Tambuwal explained further that after much persuasion, he was able to convince Tinubu to agree for Saraki to become the deputy Senate president while Ahmed Lawan, the APC’s choice, would be made the head of the National Assembly.

However, he said the plan changed shortly after he left Tinubu as Lawan and George Akume were teamed up for the positions. He also said the agreement on the Gbajabiamila and Dogara tickets were jettisoned by the APC chieftain.

As a result, Dogara emerged as the speaker after meeting with a few other people to get the complete magnitude of support.

“When my tenure was expiring and as a leader in APC whether anyone liked it or not because I was number four at that time, and when Bola Tinubu was working towards bringing Femi, he never called me, quote me! I initiated a meeting with Bola Tinubu on my own volition with Governor Abdulaziz Yari; we went to him ‘this thing you are doing, you are not talking to us?’

“He said I am sorry and that was when he “realised” that he needed to talk to us in his interest in Femi becoming speaker. So, we sat down, and we agreed to sit down again, but he didn’t call us back until when it was getting late, and I initiated a meeting with him in Lagos. I flew with some serving members of the House of Representatives and some incoming members of the House to Lagos and had a four-hour meeting with Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

“Before we started, we intreated into an inner room and told members of the House of Representatives to tell him the truth between themselves and God Almighty if there should be election who would win between Femi and Dogara. They took their turns, and including those close to him, they told him that if we should go into a free and fair process, that Dogara would win.

“When we retreated, I said: ‘Asiwaju, you have heard from my colleagues, but let me ask you what made you feel that you needed not to talk to me or invite me to come and discuss with me how someone should come and take over from me?’

“He said: ‘Aminu, I am sorry, I am sorry it was an oversight’. So, I said: ‘Okay, you have heard, what do you want? You want Femi as speaker?’ He said yes. I said: ‘Okay, I am not opposed to it, but let me tell you, we need to pair Femi and Dogara together as speaker and deputy speaker. If you want Femi, I can support Femi, he is my friend, but we have to make sure that Dogara is on the ticket as deputy speaker’.

“We went back and forth, back and forth and we agreed. He said to me: ‘Aminu, is that the deal?’ I said: ‘That is the deal. I will go back and talk to Dogara’. We discussed about Senate president, and he said no, Bukola has not spoken to him, he has not done this and that. I said: ‘No, Bukola has been to you three times and on each of those three times, he had briefed me, and you know how close Bukola and I are, so Asiwaju don’t tell me that’.

“I said to him: ‘You have spoken to an emir in the north for about 45 minutes that you want to take your pound of flesh because Bukola didn’t support you to become vice-president and that he should not get Senate president’.

“He said: ‘Ah, how did you get to know?’ I told him the emir told me; you don’t know how close I am to that emir. So, I said: ‘Asiwaju; I know what the game is. We had insisted that Bola Tinubu should not be running mate to Buhari. Buhari had already caved in, and we said that with Muslim-Muslim ticket, we could not win and that was my first offence. That was my first offence with Tinubu, not this House of Representatives politics. That was also the offence by Bukola, offence by Yari.”

He continued: “I said I could go and talk to Bukola (to become the deputy Senate president). And I told him my reasons why I was supporting Bukola. I said outside my relationship with him (Saraki), I said in my presence, in the presence of God, in your study, you encouraged Bukola to go and become senator so that he could become Senate president. In my presence, only three of us with God! You Asiwaju, you did that.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news updates

“Two, I know his capacity, and we are very close, and I know he can provide leadership. Three, the governor I am taking over from is supporting Bukola, do you want me to start fighting him by going to support someone else? And there were some other factors. I told him these are the reasons. Let me have something to go back with, let’s talk to Bukola let him take deputy Senate president to Lawan, let Femi be speaker, let Dogara be deputy speaker.

“We spent four hours in his office in Lagos. He gave me an indication that he had agreed but that Bukola should come and see him. I went and told Bukola, go and see Asiwaju. Few weeks later, they came up with their mock primaries. When they said there was going to be mock primaries, the next thing I saw was that mock primaries had been held and Monguno had stepped down for Femi and that they had paired. And that George Akume and Ahmad Lawan had formed a ticket. This was in clear contradiction of the agreement. He (Tinubu) is alive!”

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Source: Legit.ng



from Nigeria News today & Breaking Naija news ▷ Read on Legit.ng 24/7 http://bit.ly/2StWCAP
via EDUPEDIA24/7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These funny food quotes will make you laugh like crazy

Food is not only an essential part of the daily routine but also the most exciting one. We cannot imagine our life without something yummy. How do you make ordinary eating fun and unforgettable? We bring to your attention amazing food quotes which will definitely make you smile. Image: unsplash.com (modified by author) Source: UGC Are you looking for interesting ideas to entertain your interlocutor while having lunch at work or family dinner? Then this article is definitely for you! Good food quotes Below are food quotes, aphorisms and witty statements. This is an exciting and extraordinary collection of the top "pearls of wisdom" on this topic. Here you can find funny jokes and sayings, intelligent thoughts of philosophers and original words of great thinkers and inspiring statuses from social networks, as well as many other things. The best appetite comes without food. I love calories. They are dаmn tasty. An empty stomach is the Devil's playground. Have bre

The Transitional Phase of African Poetry

The Transitional Phase The second phase, which we have chosen to call transitional, is represented by the poetry of writers like Abioseh Nicol, Gabriel Okara, Kwesi Brew, Dennis Brutus, Lenrie Peters and Joseph Kariuki. This is poetry which is written by people we normally refer to as modem and who may be thought of as belonging to the third phase. The characteristics of this poetry are its competent and articulate use of the received European language, its unforced grasp of Africa’s physical, cultural and socio-political environment and often its lyricism. To distinguish this type of poetry we have to refer back to the concept of appropriation we introduced earlier. At the simplest and basic level, the cultural mandate of possessing a people’s piece of the earth involves a mental and emotional homecoming within the physical environment. Poems like Brew’s ‘‘Dry season”, Okara’s “Call of the River Nun”, Nicol’s “The meaning of Africa” and Soyinka’s “Season”, to give a few examples,

The pioneering phase of African Poetry

The pioneering phase We have called the first phase that of the pioneers. But since the phrase “pioneer poets” has often been used of writers of English expression like Osadebay, Casely-Hayford and Dei-Anag, we should point out that our “pioneer phase” also includes Negritude poets of French expression. The poetry of this phase is that of writers in “exile” keenly aware of being colonials, whose identity was under siege. It is a poetry of protest against exploitation and racial discrimination, of agitation for political independence, of nostalgic evocation of Africa’s past and visions of her future. However, although these were themes common to poets of both English and French expression, the obvious differences between the Francophone poets and the Anglophone writers of the 1930s and 1940s have been generally noted. Because of the intensity with which they felt their physical exile from Africa, coupled with their exposure to the experimental contemporary modes of writing in F